Friday, June 23, 2006

Fergie - Portrait of a Red Head, err, Vizsla

I am nearing completion on a commission that pretty much stands on its own, at least in my book.

At 36”x36”, “Fergie” takes the cake. Or rather, she could quite easily if she were truly in front of you. The entire cake and every single crumb to boot.

This commission has been a long one – ongoing since October of last year. We had the concept right off the bat – a larger than life portrait of this vizsla’s head, staring you right on. Modelled after another one I had done of a weimereiner, very much inspired by William Wegman photographs, Fergie’s painting was going to reach for the next level.

I wanted a palette that had the same strength as the overall size, so chose a complimentary color scheme of orange and blue. If her size didn’t bowl the viewer over, the intensity of color would. At least, that was my intent.

It took a bit to collect the right reference materials, since there were several states between me and the client, and I couldn’t just hop on over to take pictures as needed. I appreciate her utmost patience with me as I tried to explain what sort of pose and lighting and perspective I was looking for.

And the actual painting process took longer than I had anticipated, too. Fergie demanded lots of quiet studying time – time where I stood back from the painting and really examined every inch, deciding where the next brushstroke was to go.

But I’m very pleased with the results.

And I’ve learned a couple things in the process, too.

I don’t have to rush through a piece. It’s ok to “process the process” – I saw things I might not have consciously recognized by slowing down.

And again, a controlled palette can make a world of difference with color harmony. Despite the range of colors in this painting, I used maybe 5 or 6 different pots of paint.

Now to add the finishing touches and my signature, and this dog portrait will be done, and a digital image will go off to the client for her approval.

View current works in process.
View the finished painting of Fergie.
View my complete portfolio.

Kimberly Kelly Santini
www.turtledovedesigns.com
distinctive pet portraits
& 4-legged paintings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home